Pages

Dedicate yourselves to thankfulness. Colossians 3:15

Monday, November 3, 2008

Washington National Cathedral 'live' tour


The Washington National Cathedral and grounds are hallowed places that draw my heart near and fill my senses with their beauty and intimacy. The cathedral spire stood as a steady reminder to me, as I recovered from my first heart surgery in 1972 at Georgetown University Hospital, that life was more than the here and now. The spire beckoned me and inspired me to get well and get out of the hospital -- and get to that place.

My sister and brother-in-law helped fulfill my wish at that time to go where the spire called me. Having grown up and gotten busy, time went by; and I forgot about the cathedral -- 'til I drove past one day in late 1997. I was amazed at my oversight and neglect and missed oppotrunities to enjoy it.

In the years that followed, 'til I lost my eyesight in 2006, I visited countless times to enjoy hearing the carillon or seeing turning of the seasons -- early multitudinous tulips, mid-summer aromatic lavendar, towering red, pink and yellow October roses -- in the Bishop's Garden; to hear the crystallilne voices of the boy's choir and the thunderous-to-delicate organ recital pipings at Sunday Evensong; to pray in Resurrection Chaptel; to particpate in special programs, like a spring flower sale or a summer workshop; or just to take respite in this uncommonly tranquil spot in the heart of the city.

Hardly a visit to Washington went by, from the time of my rediscovery on, when I didn't stop at the cathedral -- if for no other reason than to pay my respects.

I love this place. I miss it. I wish to share it with you. I hope you'll enjoy this video from WETA: http://www.weta.org/tv/local/wetaallaccess/nationalcathedral. (Click the little icon to the right of the time indicator to enjoy a full-screen version.)

No comments: